- 1 Stone & Skillet English Muffin
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Russet potatoes
- 1 stick unsalted butter, chopped into cubes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (16 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, or as needed
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1 pinch ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 slice of sharp cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, egg, onion, milk and bread OR cracker crumbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste and place in a lightly greased 5x9 inch loaf pan, OR form into a loaf and place in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard and ketchup. Mix well and pour over the meatloaf.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour.
- Peel and slice potatoes thin
- Put them in a medium sized pot and cover with cold water
- Add a dash of salt and bring water to a boil.
- Boil until potatoes are very soft.
- Drain and place potatoes back into empty pot.
- Add cubed butter and mash with a wooden spoon.
- Add salt to taste.
- Heat butter over medium heat in a saucepan until it foams. Stir in mushrooms. Season with salt. Simmer until liquid evaporates, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, cooking and stirring for about 5 minutes. Add about 1 cup of beef stock, stirring briskly until incorporated, then pour in the remaining stock and mix thoroughly. Season with black pepper and thyme. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Heat olive oil in a small pan and add spinach.
- Season with salt and pepper and wilt.
- Take off heat and set aside.
- Slowly cook onions on low heat with butter until caramelized.
- Cut muffin in half and place cheese slice on top bun and put into the broiler until cheese is melted.
- Scoop mashed potatoes onto bottom bun then top with caramelized onions, sliced meatloaf, mushroom gravy, sauteed spinach, and top muffin with cheese.